METU is among the Top Universities of the World in 15 Different Subjects
The British company Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) has announced the 2017 rankings of the world’s top universities by subject on March 8, 2017. QS has declared that they assessed 4,438 leading world universities for this ranking, and considered 1117 top universities in 46 different scientific subjects by measuring their performances. The rankings are calculated by considering “Academic Reputation”, “University Reputation”, “Reference Ratios” and the “H-index” that measures the impact of academic studies.
In the rankings, which can be found at http://www.topuniversities.com/subject-rankings, METU, which appeared in the list with 12 subjects last year, is among the world’s “top” universities in 15 scientific subjects, thus representing Turkey in the highest number of fields. In QS Broad Subject Area rankings, METU was ranked
- 259th in Engineering & Technology
- 308th in Natural Sciences
- 389th in Social Studies and Management
- in the first 500 universities in Arts & Humanities.
METU is one of the Turkish universities that have ranked 45th in ‘the World’s Top 100 Universities’ list for Mineral & Mining Engineering subject area. In addition, METU was listed:
- in the first 150 universities in 2 subject areas (Architecture, Civil & Structural Engineering)
- in the first 200 universities in 5 subject areas (Statistics & Operational Research, Education, Politics & International Studies, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering),
- in the first 250 universities in 2 subject areas (Chemical Engineering, Material Sciences)
- in the first 300 universities in 1 subject area (Computer Science & Information Systems)
- in the first 350 universities in 1 subject area (Physics & Astronomy)
- in the first 400 universities in 2 subject areas (Economics and Econometrics, Mathematics)
- in the first 450 universities in 1 subject area (Chemistry)
Among other universities representing Turkey in these rankings, İstanbul Technical University and İD Bilkent University were ranked in 9 subjects, Boğaziçi University 7, İstanbul University 5, Koç University 4, Hacettepe University 3, Sabancı University 2, Ankara University and Ege University were ranked in 1 subject area.
I would like to congratulate and extend my gratitude to all members of our university and alumni for their success in these rankings.
Mustafa Verşan Kök