Green Campus is an initiative which was launched in the first half of 2011 as part of the activities organized by student associations to prevent energy and water waste on campus. The Green Campus Initiative then further expanded to include more volunteers, particularly students, academic and administrative staff with an interest in the issue at hand.
AIMS OF THE GREEN CAMPUS INITIATIVE
Green Campus, which set out to promote a sustainable and climate-friendly environment, works on a voluntary basis.
The primary aims of the Initiative are:
- To enhance efficiency in energy generation (produced by electrical generators), transmission and consumption on campus,
- To prevent inefficient or wasteful use of energy,
- To reduce carbon dioxide emissions on campus in order to achieve sustainable energy costs,
- To help the conservation of natural resources with the aid of a land use and rainwater management plan,
- To prevent environmental pollution with the aid of a waste management plan, to raise awareness of the issues of energy and environment in our community,
- To explore solutions to the impacts of climate change on the environment and human health,
In line with these aims, the Green Campus Strategy Document set the strategic vision of METU Northern Cyprus Campus, its goals and key actions for the coming years regarding the issue.
MAIN GOALS OF THE GREEN CAMPUS INITIATIVE
The goals of Green Campus that centers around sustainability are as follows:
- To develop an organizational structure in compliance with the main policy, goals and objectives specified in the Strategy Document,
- To improve external financing opportunities, strengthen collaborations and increase awareness raising activities aimed at shareholders in accordance with the main policy, goals and objectives of the Strategy Document,
- To hold an internationally recognized certificate that serves as an outcome indicator of the actions taken to achieve the main policy, goals and objectives specified in the Strategy Document,
- To decrease energy consumption and losses, to increase energy use efficiency,
- To expand the use of renewable energy resources in existing buildings and to give priority to renewable energy systems in new buildings,
- To increase efficiency in energy production, transmission, and distribution, to reduce energy losses within the infrastructure of electricity production and distribution,
- To achieve international indoor and outdoor air quality standards,
- To prevent and control environmental noise,
- To establish an efficient waste management and recycling system,
- To help the conservation of natural resources with the aid of a land use and water management plan,
- To establish an environment- and energy-oriented management system encompassing purchasing and conversion activities, as well as logistical coordination.
GREEN CAMPUS COORDINATION COMMITTEE
The Green Campus Coordination Committee consists of 12 Green Campus Initiative volunteers determined by the Campus President to ensure that activities are performed in compliance with the main policy, goals and objectives specified in the Strategy Document, all necessary measures are taken, the outcomes are evaluated, and efficient inter-unit coordination is achieved. Of those 12 volunteers, 4 are students, 4 are academic staff and the remaining 4 are administrative staff members. The Committee members have equal voting rights. The Committee, which has no president, performs its duties through the Secretariat.
ACTIVITIES OF THE GREEN CAMPUS INITIATIVE
Activities led by the Green Campus Coordination Committee fall into three categories:
- Green Office Activities: Organizational activities that comply with the Green Campus Strategy Document, promotional activities, institutional communication, social and cultural activities, activities aimed at strengthening relations and improving collaboration with external bodies, awareness raising activities, activities aimed at implementing quality systems, and activities covered under the title “GREEN PURCHASING POLICY” in the Green Campus Strategy Document.
- Energy Activities: Activities covered under the title “SUSTAINABLE ENERGY POLICY” in the Green Campus Strategy Document.
- Environmental Activities: Activities covered under the title “SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT POLICY” in the Green Campus Strategy Document.
IMPLEMENTATION OF ACTIVITIES
Green Campus activities are organized by three teams formed within the Green Campus Coordination Committee.
- The Green Office Secretariat and Related Team are in charge of leading activities of the Green Office and ensuring coordination.
- The Energy Team leads energy-related activities.
- The Environmental Team leads environmental activities.
I WOULD LIKE TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER FOR GREEN CAMPUS AND BE INVOLVED IN “GREEN PROJECTS”!
Take this simple step: Contact the Green Office via phone or e-mail!
0392 661 2017 nccsecgnmetu.edu.tr