We conduct research at graduate level through:
- SEES graduate program; in collaboration with civil, chemical, and mechanical engineering programs, and chemistry and math groups here at METU NCC.
- PETE graduate program; collaboration with the Department of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering at METU Ankara
We also conduct research at undergraduate level through:
- ESC 491/492 senior-year technical elective multi-disciplinary course; in collaboration with civil, chemical, and mechanical engineering programs, and chemistry and math groups here at METU NCC.
- PNGE 490 senior-year technical elective course.
Our current research interests include:
- Fluid flow through porous media
- Secondary and enhanced oil recovery
- Fluid flow in pipelines
- Numerical and analytical modeling of fluid flow
- Geothermal energy
- Unconventional oil and gas resources
- Artificial intelligence applications
- Data-driven analytics
- Eastern Mediterranean hydrocarbons
Some of our recent publications:
Al-Rbeawi, S., Artun, E. (2019). Fishbone type horizontal wellbore completion: A study for pressure behavior, flow regimes, and productivity index. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 176:172-202. doi: 10.1016/j.petrol.2018.12.076
Temizel, C., Artun, E., Yang, Z. (2019). Improving oil-rate estimate in capacitance/resistance modeling using the Y-function method for reservoirs under waterflood. SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering. SPE 194497-PA.
Kulga, B., Artun, E., Ertekin, T. (2018). Characterization of tight-gas sand reservoirs from horizontal- well performance data using an inverse neural network. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 59:35-46.
Artun, E., Kulga, B. (2018). Candidate well selection for re-fracturing in tight-gas sand reservoirs using artificial intelligence. SPE Eastern Regional/AAPG Eastern Section Joint Meeting. 7-11 October. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
Artun, E. (2018). Estimation of carbon footprint of a university campus with sustainability initiatives: a case study. 24th International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference. 12-15 June. Messina, Italy.
Yalgin, G., Zarepakzad, N., Artun, E., Durgut, I., Kok, M.V. (2018). Design and development of data- driven screening tools for enhanced oil recovery processes. SPE-190028-MS. SPE Western Regional Meeting. 22-27 April. Garden Grove, California, USA.
Al-Rbeawi, Salam. Bivariate Log-Normal Distribution of Stimulated Matrix Permeability & Block Size in Fractured Reservoirs: Proposing New Multi-Linear Flow Regime for Transient State Production. SPE Journal, 23 (04), 2018.doi: doi:10.2118/189993-PA.
Al-Rbeawi, Salam. Restoring disrupted data by wellbore storage effect using analytical models & type curve matching. In press, International Journal of Oil, Gas, Coal technology. 19 (02), 2018.
Al-Rbeawi, Salam. Integrated analysis of pressure response using pressure rate convolution and deconvolution techniques for varıed flow rate production ın fractured formation. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 51 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2018.01.012
Al-Rbeawi, Salam. The optimal reservoir configuration for maximum productivity index of gas reservoirs depleted by horizontal wells under Darcy and non-Darcy flow Conditions. Journal of Natural Gas Science & Engineering, 49 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2017.11.012
Al-Rbeawi, Salam & Fadhil S. Kadhim. Hydraulically fractured formations: Parameters controlling performance and maximum number of fractures. Engineering & technology journal, Vol. 35 Part A, No. 8, (2017).
- Micro scale sweep visualization experiments using carbonate samples (M.T. Khan, M. Zeytçioğlu, S. Saner)
- Compressional and tensile strengths of Miocene Sandstones of Eastern Mediterranean (T. Burak, T. Beydeş, S. Saner)
- A case study for understanding waterflood performance and reservoir connectivity using analytical tools (B. Fernandes, Y. Cabral, E. Artun)
- Simulation of possible oil spills in İskenderun Bay and the Eastern Mediterranean between Anatolia and Cyprus (M. Chilongo, K. Guliyev, I. Durgut)