Welcome To METU NCC Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Program
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Program at the Middle East Technical University (METU) - Northern Cyprus Campus provides a modern education to help students gain strong background about the fundamentals of petroleum and natural gas engineering. Besides enhancement of their scientific and technical knowledge and engineering skills, students are urged to learn how to find solutions for national, international, social and environmental issues related to the petroleum industry. Objectives of the education include all operational techniques; such as drilling, production, and reservoir management for putting subsurface petroleum and natural gas resources and geothermal energy resources to human utilization. It is aimed that, in addition to technical ability, graduates adapt principles of lifetime learning, environmental responsibility and ethical awareness, and that they have sufficient knowledge about the health and safety of employees. Summer practices give students the opportunity to establish the link between theoretical knowledge and practical applications, as well as the recognition of work conditions.
The main content of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering education can be summarized as follows:
- Fundamental natural sciences and earth sciences for engineers,
- The physical and chemical properties and dynamics of petroleum reservoir fluids (oil, gas and formation water),
- The petrophysical properties of reservoir rocks,
- The drilling and production of petroleum and natural gas,
- The economical and effective management of petroleum and natural gas reserves
The mission of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Program at METU Northern Cyprus Campus is to provide education at the highest standards in the areas of drilling, production and reservoir engineering for the underground energy resources.
The program aims to educate tomorrow's petroleum engineers who would be able to:
- Apply the knowledge they have gathered effectively into real-world problems
- Become life-long learners and advance the science and technology
- Think outside the defined norms, approach to challenging problems from different angles and develop innovative and practical solutions
- Demonstrate excellent leadership, teamwork, communication and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate engineering ethics, professionalism, social and environmental awareness
Middle East Technical University Northern Cyprus Campus Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Undergraduate Program graduates:
- are preferred by pioneer national and international organizations as successful practitioners of Petoleum Engineering profession who will take the task on evaluation of subsurface energy-source fluids such as primarily petroleum and natural gas, including geothermal, shale gas and coal gas.
- Reach managerial positions in national and international organizations where they work, serve in active, decision-maker and policy-maker positions.
- Have successful academic careers at Petroleum Engineering deparments of higher education institutions.
- Carry on successful tasks in minor branches of the petroleum sector such as research and development, transportation, supervising, marketing and sales.
- Having knowledge of basic mathematics and physical sciences up to the mark of professing engineering.
- Having knowledge of Petroleum Engineering up to the mark of professing any of the three main branches of the Petroleum Engineering which are Reservoir Engineering,Production Engineering and Drilling Engineering.
- Reaching to a critical reasoning level at which s/he can apply, analyse and evaluate the basic engineering and petroleum engineering knowledge that s/he has.
- Having the sufficient knowledge for recognizing and portraying the possible problems that s/he may face while practicing and having skills of improving stratgies to handle with these problems.
- Possessing of reaching to new information, interpretation of that information and self perpetuation ability that is required by their ever-growing, changing job environments and by disciplinary and interdsiciplinary studies in which they can be included.
- Self-perpetuation by continuous learning habits upon their strong basic engineering knowledge that they gained during their education.
- Being at the professional perfection for self-working as well having an ability of working with a team harmonizingly.
- Having necessary qualifications for taking responsibility individually or as a member of a team, guiding and collimating when a task is assigned or when needed.
- Consciousness of necessity of sharing the acquired craft knowledge and experience with others and being up to use communication methods and instruments for actively sharing that knowledge and experience.
- Regarding not only the professional marks and earnings but also the society and environment during solving of professional problems.
- Paying attention to ethical values and codes of conduct both in professional and social life.
- Evaluating the encountered problems not only from engineering perspective but also from social,environment and ethical perspectives and searching for and applying realistic solutions to them by these criterias into account.
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering graduates will have acquired the necessary education to work in the domains of exploration, drilling, production, transportation, storage and management of petroleum, natural gas and geothermal energy. METU graduates are well recognized with their knowledge and capabilities and been preferable engineers for employment by national and international petroleum companies or others providing high-tech services to them.