YABANCI DİLLER OKULU İNGİLİZCE ÖĞRETİM GÖREVLİSİ BAŞVURUSU (İNGİLİZCE)
Guidelines for Application to Instructor Positions at
METU Northern Cyprus Campus
School of Foreign Languages
Modern Languages and Preparatory Program
A. Job Specifications
METU Northern Cyprus Campus School of Foreign Languages (METU NCC SFL) is seeking highly motivated and qualified instructors of English who are capable of contributing to the maintenance of high standards of tuition in a professionally demanding teaching environment.
METU NCC SFL has two different programs. The English Preparatory Program aims to provide students whose level of English is below proficiency with basic language skills to pursue their undergraduate studies at our university without significant difficulty. The Modern Languages Program offers compulsory English courses for undergraduate students in different programs.
Instructors at the English Preparatory program teach up to 20 hours a week, whereas instructors at the Modern Languages Program teach up to 16 hours a week. Besides teaching, instructors are expected to be involved in other job-related duties such as counseling in the Self-Access Center, substitution, course/program/materials development, test production, and teacher training/development activities. They may also be expected to undertake administrative duties.
At the beginning of each academic year, all new instructors attend the Induction Program, which aims to support them in adjusting to METU NCC and the SFL.
B. METU NCC offers
- A high-quality, international campus environment
- INSETT opportunities at SFL
- An attractive salary package commensurate with qualifications and years of experience in teaching relevant courses at the university level
- Social security and health coverage
*Please visit https://app.ncc.metu.edu.tr/acadpos/Work_and_Liv_METUNCC.php for further information about the working and living conditions at METU NCC.
C. Application Requirements
- BA/BS and MA/MSc degree in ELT (with thesis) OR MA/MSc degree with thesis in a related field (English Language and Literature, Linguistics, Translation and Interpretation, American Culture and Literature, etc.)
- Preferably, experience in teaching English at the university level
- Preferably, Cambridge ESOL Teaching Awards certification
- Preferably, expertise in one or more of the specialist areas of ELT, namely, in teacher training, curriculum development, and test development
- ALES score of minimum 70 (for Turkish citizens) (taken in the last 5 years)
- Excellent command of English: Minimum required English Proficiency test scores for nonnative speakers of English are as follows:
|*Test||*Minimum Score||*Taken in the last|
The equivalencies on this table are determined by the Council of Higher Education (Tur: Yüksek Öğretim Kurulu), which adopts the Student Selection and Placement Centre's (Tur: ÖSYM) table of test equivalencies.
- Being successful in all stages of the METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exam (IREX)
D. METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exam
METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exam (IREX) comprises an interview and a demo lesson to assess the candidates’ language proficiency, methodological awareness, and teaching skills.
- Candidates who fulfill the application requirements, regardless of their academic, professional, or L1 background, must take the METU NCC SFL IREX
- Only candidates who fit the requirements are contacted for the interview and demo lesson.
- The interview and the demo lesson take place consecutively on the same day.
- The exams will take place via ZOOM (the link will be sent)
E. Application Documents (to be submitted by October 14, 2022, 17:30)
- METU NCC SFL IREX Application Form (Download the attached form and fill in it accordingly),
- A Cover Letter specifying how your qualifications, skills, and experience match the requirements of the position,
- An up-to-date CV, which includes details of your educational background (including details of attained degree/s and graduation CGPA/s), employment history, and a current JPEG photo,
- English Proficiency Test score and ALES score (See the application form),
- Contact information for three professional referees, including your current or most recent employer. If you have not been employed before, you might specify academic referees. (See the application form).
F. Application Process
Application documents should be sent electronically to englmetu.edu.tr with "cc" to nccacposmetu.edu.tr with the subject “Application to METU NCC SFL”.
The attached Word file attachments should be labeled as follows:
Attachment 1: App Form – YOUR FULLNAME'
Attachment 2: Covering Letter – YOUR FULLNAME'
Attachment 3: CV – YOUR FULLNAME'
Please note the following:
- Applications that fail to adhere to the above-specified guidelines will not be processed.
- Copies of qualifications, certificates, letters of reference, and other additional documents are not required at this stage.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the METU NCC SFL IREX.