Guidelines for Application to Instructor Positions at
METU Northern Cyprus Campus
School of Foreign Languages
Modern Languages and Preparatory Program
A. Job Specifications
METU Northern Cyprus Campus English Language Instructor at the School of Foreign Languages: Modern Languages Program and English Preparatory Program (Please state your preference in your application) is seeking highly motivated and qualified instructors of English, who are capable of contributing to the maintenance of high standards of tuition at a professionally demanding teaching environment.
METU NCC SFL has two different programs. English Preparatory Program aims to provide the students whose level of English is below proficiency level with basic language skills so that they can pursue their undergraduate studies at our university without major difficulty. Modern Languages Program offers compulsory English courses for undergraduate students in different programs.
Instructors at English Preparatory program teach up to 20 hours a week whereas instructors at Modern Languages Program teach up to 16 hours a week. Besides teaching, instructors are expected to be involved in other job-related duties such as counseling in the Self-Access Center, substitution, course/program/materials development, test production and teacher training/development activities and may also be expected to undertake administrative duties.
At the beginning of each academic year, all new instructors attend the Induction Program, which aims to support them in their adjustment to METU NCC and the SFL.
B. *METU NCC offers
- A high quality, international campus environment
- INSETT opportunities at SFL
- An attractive salary package commensurate with qualifications and years of experience in teaching relevant courses at university level
- Social security and health coverage
*Please visit https://app.ncc.metu.edu.tr/acadpos/Work_and_Liv_METUNCC.php for further information about the working and living conditions at METU NCC.
C. Person Specifications
- *Excellent command of English
- Being successful in all stages of the METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exam (Please see Part D of this document).
- BA/BS and MA/MSc degree in ELT or in a related field
- Preferably, experience in teaching English at university level
- ALES score of minimum 70 (for Turkish citizens)
- Preferably, Cambridge ESOL Teaching Awards certification
- Preferably, expertise in one or more of the specialist areas of ELT, namely, in teacher training, curriculum development and test development
* Minimum required English Proficiency test scores for nonnative speakers of English are as follows:
The equivalencies on this table are determined by the Council of Higher Education, (Tur: YÖK Kurulu) which adopts Student Selection and Placement Centre's (Tur: ÖSYM) table of test equivalencies.
D. METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exams
METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exams comprise an interview and a demo lesson aiming to assess the language proficiency, methodological awareness and teaching skills of the candidates.
- Candidates who fulfill the application requirements, regardless of their academic, professional or L1 background are required to take the METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exams.
- Only candidates who fit the requirements are contacted for the interview and demo lesson.
- The interview and the demo lesson take place consecutively on the same day.
- The exam will take place via ZOOM (the link will be sent) on 22.02.2021. (details regarding the time of the exam will be announced later)
E. Application Documents (to be submitted by February, 18 2021)
- A covering letter specifying how your qualifications, skills and experience match with the requirements of the position,
- An up to date CV, which includes details of your educational background (including details of attained degree/s and graduation CGPA/s) employment history and a current JPEG photo,
- English Proficiency test score and ALES score (see Part C of this document)
- Contact information for three professional referees, including your current or most recent employer (If you have not been employed before, you might specify academic referees.)
F. Application Process
Application documents should be sent electronically to englmetu.edu.tr () with "cc" to nccacposmetu.edu.tr () as Word file attachments labeled as follows:
Subject: Application to METU NCC SFL
Attachment 1: 'Covering Letter – YOURFULLNAME'
Attachment 2: 'CV – YOURFULLNAME'
Attachment 3: 'Referees – YOURFULLNAME'
Please note the following:
- Applications that fail to adhere to the above specified guidelines will not be processed.
- Copies of qualifications, certificates, letters of reference, and other additional documents are not required at this stage.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the METU NCC SFL Instructor Recruitment Exams.
- METU NCC will not process applications from instructors who have been affiliated to another higher education institution in the TRNC during the 2019-2020 Academic Year.