Announcement about 2019-2020 Academic Year Spring Semester Leave of Absence (Semester Leave) and Course Drop Requests due to the Coronavirus Pandemic
Dear METU NCC Family,
According to the decisions taken by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK), on the meeting dated 31.03.2020, regarding freezing registration for the 2019-2020 Academic Year Spring Semester, students enrolled in associate, undergraduate and graduate degree programs will be able to request their registration in the Spring Semester of the 2019-2020 Academic Year to be frozen without counting from the maximum period due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In addition, our students state that under the current circumstances they are having difficulties in accessing or following the course content while they can follow some other courses due to the differences in the courses. Those students request their enrolment for the semester to be continued so that the courses they can access can be assessed; however, they demand not to be responsible for the courses they cannot follow. Upon their request, the students will be entitled to drop the courses they are unable to follow through distance education for the 2019-2020 Academic Year Spring Semester.
Related applications should be completed until July 14, 2020 at the latest.
Upon our students’ requests for Leave of Absence (Freezing Registration) and Course Drop, the procedure will be as follows:
- Students who would like to apply for a leave of absence or dropping the course, should fill online form via https://intranet.ncc.metu.edu.tr/oim_dilekce.php by stating their grounds for the application.
- Petition forms will be forwarded to the relevant Academic Boards with the opinions of academic advisors and program coordinators
- Students who apply for a leave of absence after the last day of the specified add/drop period, and who are granted for it, are required to pay the tuition fee that is calculated for that period, refund of the fee or transfer of this semester’s fee to another academic semester will not possible.
- Petition forms will be evaluated by the relevant Academic Boards.
- Students will be informed via METU e-mail.
Withdrawal procedures remain valid and unchanged within the scope of regulations.
The course(s) that are dropped will not appear in the transcript. Unlike withdrawal procedure, there is no obligation to replace courses in the following semesters, so there is no need for follow-up. The demands of our students to drop the course will be considered as a flexible and advantageous method in the current period.